Monday, September 26, 2011

Let there be (more) sound, any kind, nevermind.

Every year on the 21 of June (the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere as the good site says) the streets of Paris fill with free music, and it takes quite a while to the empty it back, so cars can pass.
This year we decided to help by taking some of it, so we headed to a Yemen Blues concert. 

Yeah-man à la moi

Below are some snapshots I took.
A short preview show a few days back

If you keep moving, the picture becomes blurry..

A drawing with two pencils, one by a two year old. one by a 47 year old
(but I was 46 at the time ...)

Remind me.. drawing about music is like dancing about what ?!

Ah, yeah! architecture

Well, the architecture was quite amazing as well (UTube remembers...)

Hand is quicker than the eye.

But Rony Iwryn (Percussion) is quicker...


And for something quite different, (well, not that much, really, still Paris, music, drawing and me...)
One of the most impressive exhibitions I've been to last year, was an immense Anish Kapur's installation called Leviathan at the grande-palais. (which becomes once a year a host to a grand-scale art project), 

Before the closing of the exhibit, I had the joy meeting my lovable Cousin at a Stockhausen Concert just at the foot of this shore-deserted whale, (in fact you can see my cousin, me and my sketchpad in this video on the 27th second if you use abitof imagination, Christ, is there ANYTHING that is not filmed these days???)

You dont expect me to play Stockhausen, do you...

I was expecting the show in the whale's belly, but the outside was just fine!
Little red rugs on the floor to accommodate the delicate assed audience
(using the instant coffee Shir recommended me to bring as a first-aid watercolor)


Erasing some, but even this doesn't capture the grandeur..

A no-punch one-liner

There was a great trumpet as well, but hey! you can't have it all!
(where would you put it?)

Enjoy the music! 

Till nextime!

7 comments :

  1. first ' i have to say i absolutely love it. the thing is that the description you wrote with words made me feel identified with the situation other than the drawings. the drawings made me feel as if it took place a very long time ago.
    i absolutely feel identified with the words, even these who describe the drawings.
    it feels like a good reminder to the beautiful things in life.
    p.s
    please don't say i contradic my self by saying i love it and than writing that the drawings didn't fit the words in the same way i felt it.

    avigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Seeing the videos really helps.

    Couldn't identify you, though I've used up all of my imagination. Sorry.

    Loved it anyway :)
    Igor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your drawings are beautiful as always...I really like it when you use colours..Shana Tova! Love to you all, Nirit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nirit, welcome back! great to hear from you, and big kisses to all the family.
    i'm getting to the colours but slowly (was it Paul Simon who said everything looks great in black and white?)

    Igor old chap, kisses to the family a well, if you didn't recognised me it is either because I 'lied', or you didn't see me in a long while..., in any case welcome back!

    And Avigail, thank you so so much!

    In fact I have sooo much to say in return I don't know where to start.

    I'll start by admitting I bent the quote , it was (some say) David B. Who said talking about music is like dancing about architecture, and you brought it right back.

    The initial intention of my blog was to touch exactly this abstract point of pure non verbal experience, and in my drawings I try to stay away from symbols a much as I can.
    Thing is it isn't easy as a means of communication, I made it quite clear I am looking for a dialogue, but I feel I am talking in a language that is, though understood, hard to communicate with (non verbal responses are not easily supported yet on the Web), hence responses are rare.

    Words are too powerful a tool to shape and set our mood, if I write the word 'sad' as title on something unclear it will define it well, making the drawing an illustration, and if the drawing was clearly not sad our brain will define it a happy (and not, for instance, as yellow)
    So no doubt you identify with the situation rather than (out stronger than) the drawing.

    Out of great respect for you I'll fill you wish, but I think contradictions are great things, since they make us wake up and really think for a second , allowing us to catch a glimpse of the chaos of life, until a fall asleep again,
    And sometimes they even make us use or commuting time to write a response ;)
    thank you for that.

    And Shana tova to each and every one of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree, you made me look at it in another perspective. i have to think about it more and look deep inside of me, understand how i capture things i see and how i interpertate them. you gave me something to think about. thank you

    SHANA TOVA TO YOU ALL (-:
    avigail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Avigail, Reading back I feel I used too many words, so in short:
    - I added the text mainly to make the comments easier to write.
    Shanatova!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was there too ! At the Yemen blues concert. Still, same tall guy boucing like a bear drunk on honey. And drawing as if he had been stinged by a few bees.

    ReplyDelete

What's the first thing on your mind? (help)